Server relocation + lowered speeds

Just a quick post to note that the server that this blog is hosted on has been moved. Along with the move is included a slower internet connection — the fibre is throttled at 50Mbps down and 9Mbps up. A noticeable downgrade from the previous 76Mbps down and 18Mbps up. You can tell that it’s throttled, because every time you run a speedtest, the speed jumps up to very decent speeds (120Mbps+) for a second or so and then rapidly descends to exactly 50Mbps. It’s a shame and I apologise for the halving in my server’s connections speed, but there isn’t anything that I can do at the moment.

I’ve set up the server to run a speedtest daily at 2:30am, you can see a graph of the results below:

Statistics for BT ISP 2019-20:

NB: it turns out my speedtest program was inaccurate and all the times that it reported ~2.5 Mbps (specifically upload) it actually meant 9 Mbps. It was a very strange bug indeed. Somewhere around April/May I switched to the newly launched official Ookla Speedtest CLI for more accurate results.

Maximum (Mbps) Minimum (Mbps) Average (Mbps)
Download 51.48 28.26 50.0
Upload 9.56 2.47 5.2
Ping 115.8 5.5 11.3

Edit 01/07/2020:

New ISP, new plan, back to 18 Mbps upload. My thanks to Vodafone:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *